[MERGE/RFC] Add dotted-decimal revision numbers to merge_sorted output

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Sep 7 04:38:20 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 22:22 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I agree he wasn't very clear. He and I discussed it on IRC, and the idea
> is to get numbers like:

I've scrapped that idea as it happens - its got some 'issues'. ...

> 1
> 2
> 3
> 3.1.1
> 3.1.2
> 3.2.1
> 3.2.2
> 3.2.2.1.1
> 4
> F starts looking a little ugly, since it is the first revision of the
> first branch off of the first branch of revno 1.
>
> I like the revnos, I haven't fully reviewed the patch.

The scheme we discussed on IRC is problematic because its not easy to
understand:
There are two basic options with the approach we were considering - one
is that the merges *into* revision 3 get prefixed with 3., and the other
is that merges into revision *4* get prefixed with 3. - so that anything
between 3 and 4 is 'content merged in in 4'. Neither is very
satisfactory, so I just bit the bullet and assigned them according to
their ancestors, not the merge point. It should be equivalent in
performance though.

-Rob