urllib2 Keep-alive spike

Alex J. Champandard bazaalist-100806 at ai-depot.com
Fri Sep 1 08:21:26 BST 2006

Michael Ellerman wrote:
> I've been meaning to look at whether it'd be good to use urlgrabber in
> its entirety, but I haven't had time. Are you familiar with it? It
> looks like it might get us some of the things we want, and having it
> maintained as an external project is better in the long run I think.

I've never looked at urlgrabber before, and it's just simply lucky I
spent long enough time "solving" this problem with an search engine
whose name starts with G and finishes with "oogle."

Anyway, the project seems completely unmaintained since 2004.  To use it
in Python 2.4, you actually have to fix it to compile.  I added the
details here:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Specs/UrllibKeepAlive

The only other project I found using urlgrabber is Mercurial, and they
have a copy checked in and presumably also self-maintained.
To be honest, this should 100% be part of urllib2 as the module is
rather useless and terribly unreliable without it... The number of posts
with people complaining about various connection errors with it is
unbelievable, and from my experience, that's probably not their server's
fault!

Anyway, enough ranting... That' about all I know :-)

Cheers,
Alex