problems with bzr 0.10 and paramiko sftp transfer

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Aug 31 18:21:51 BST 2006

Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Lukáš Lalinský wrote:

> I've just experienced the same problem on my server. In my local branch all the
> .kndx files start with "# bzr knit index 8\n\n", but if I push the branch using
> the sftp transfer (paramiko 1.6.2), the headers get removed. After downgrade to
> paramiko 1.6.1 it pushed the branch correctly (though the one on server was
> damaged, so I had to do delete it and push all revisions). Unfortunately this is
> probably too deep in the source code for me to debug it...
>
> -Lukáš

I think I know what the bug might be.

It has to do with retrying after a failure. Because we deal with
file-like objects, the first request makes an attempt and fails,
(raising an exception) but consumes the first line of the file-like
object. Then we recover and try again, but forget to reset the position
of the file.

Now, why we would have that problem with paramiko-1.6.2 and not with
1.6.1 I really don't understand. But that is my best guess.

(And I have no idea why it would happen with files like inventory.knit
and revisions.knit)

And are you pushing all new files? Or just adding contents to existing
files?