[RFC] Cache DNS as long as the pycurl Transport is active

Alex J. Champandard bazaalist-100806 at ai-depot.com
Wed Aug 30 10:44:04 BST 2006

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> it seems on someones machine [...] after the cache has expired, it seems to fail to connect.

That would be me! :-)

I'm on a standard XP setup without cygwin, using the latest Win32 binary
of PyCurl (quite old).  I use bzrlib directly, but the problem is
orthogonal to that... The process of updating multiple repositories
takes over 60 seconds sometimes, and that reveals the problems.  Note
that urllib is equally unreliable after a while on this same setup, so
the urllib DNS cache hack helps.

I don't usually have any network connections or other problems, so I'm
presuming it's either XP's handling of domain name lookups, or how
bzr/python makes use of them on this platform...

Has anyone else seen unreliable connections on XP machines?

Cheers,
Alex