transports and connections

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 30 05:56:57 BST 2006

Martin Andrew and I were talking about how to test the smart server's
ssh hookup. We felt that it would be made easier if we define

get_transport() as /not/ connecting to the server, but rather the
returned transport connecting when the first operation is called on it.

This follows the idiom of having constructors not do complex or time
consuming things, and also fits protocols like http much better than
requiring that the result of get_transport mean the server is actually
available.

Thoughts ?

-Rob