Meld's Bazaar support

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Aug 24 01:44:52 BST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> > So I'm asking again: What is our intent with bzrlib?  Do we intend for
> > it to be used by BSD and proprietary clients?
>
> I wonder that as well. I've thought about whether LGPL would make sense,
> but I don't know if we want to allow a proprietary front end.

It's a difficult call.  We would like it to be used in Meld and similar
open source projects; it's annoying when licencing technicalities cause
such problems.  (One reason we want a single copyright holder is so that
we are able to make licence fixes for such situations.)  On the other
hand we do want a copyleft licence.

For things like proprietary IDEs or diff tools I'd say to have a good
machine-friendly command line interface.  Hopefully Meld can have closer
integration.

> On the other hand, what about a company that uses 'bzr' to version their
> code, and they want to integrate it into the build system. Is it
> reasonable to let them use bzrlib directly?

If you mean a company that is building proprietary
software and releasing the binaries them I think the GPL has no effect.
They don't distribute the build system source or binaries, and privately
making a combined work is allowed.

--
Martin