[merge] Unicode Exception fixes

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 23 19:40:18 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 14:34 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> I don't know if this is trivial enough.
>
> It has +1 from me for 0.10.
>
> -Rob

I'm glad you liked the earlier patch. Hopefully you will still like the
current one.

From Martin's comment that it is okay if ~/.bzr.log contains non utf8
characters, I cleaned up mutter() in what I consider to be a better way.

It means that if we get a utf8 mutter() call, instead of having a
UnicodeError warning, and a repr() string in the log file, we get it
written out as normal.

It means we might get funky characters if we get a latin-1 mutter()
call, but that should be very rare. As is, we can get a utf-8 mutter()
if someone comments about an Exception, since str(e) should always be a
real string.

I'm still hoping this one has a +1 for 0.10. It actually ends up being a
smaller set of changes than the earlier patch.