[Bug] UnicodeDecodeError when give to bzr option flag with non-ascii characters

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Aug 21 03:09:42 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 11:34 +0300, Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> Is this a regression from 0.9 ?
>
> -Rob

I can see this same behavior in 0.8 and 0.9, as well as bzr.dev. The
line is explicitly casting a Unicode argument back into a plain string.

bzr gannotate tells me that that specific line has existed since revno
1165. Dates Thursday 2005-09-01.

I do believe Martin explicitly planned to only support ascii command
names and arguments. Whether we should loosen that requirement or not,
we can discuss.

For commands, it seems rather difficult to register non-ascii command
names, especially since we use the name of the class, and I'm not sure
that you can do non-ascii variable names in python. (Maybe you could do
utf8, but certainly not Unicode).

For options, it would be easier to be flexible, but either way, we need
to decide what we want to support.