detecting version match/mismatch between core/plugins

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at
Fri Aug 18 01:21:55 BST 2006

>From the beginning I was thinking of the way Firefox
>extensions are handled - there's definitely interaction
>with a registry site to answer these sorts of questions.
>However for a plugin which *is* intended to be in
>lockstep with bzr releases, it does seem reasonable
>to spit out some sort of warning like the above.

To be a little more descriptive, I upgraded Firefox
on a system just now and got this screen:

The following components are not compatible with the
new version of Firefox you have just installed:

SessionSaver .2

They have been disabled until compatible versions
are installed.

Firefox can check for and install newer, compatible
versions of these components.

So at least I'm not surprised by an ugly-looking Python
exception traceback printout when something went
amiss because of version skew :)