bzr copy (Re: Weekly 0.10 release status)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 15 10:46:42 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 11:11 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> >> I think 'bzr copy' or at least the storing format for it should go into
> >> the final 1.0 release. I'm not sure howmany releases will happen before 1.0.
> >>
> >> See http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrFileCopies.
> >
> > First step is to register it as a spec here:
> > https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+specs
>
> was already done by jelmer
> https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies

Ah, I missed it when I searched for copy on the page :).

So onto the next step : this needs to be designed.

We're a snapshot based system, so I suggest starting with the idea that
the copy needs to be represented in a snapshot - searching history is
not appropriate. Also, doing a copy of a to b, then b to c should not be
confusable doing do ing a copy of a to b and a copy of a to c.

We also need to consider what happens when, say, a is vopied to b, b is
copied to c, then b is deleted. Can we reconstruct that c should get
merges from a ?

cheers,
Rob