[RFC] Several levels of expertise for bzr

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Fri Aug 11 06:15:52 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 11:20 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> In short, no. Having options or commands that appear or disappear
> based on a magic[1] setting is only going to lead to more confusion.
> Think of a user who happens to learn bzr on an "expert" install, on a
> shared machine, and then installs bzr on their own machine, only to
> find lots of commands missing.

I'm not strongly for or against, but this particular concern could be
addressed. One line could be reserved for something like:

[Some commands omitted; for details run: bzr help helplevel]

On my system (Ubuntu, bzr 0.8.2), bzr help commands runs on and on for
page after page. I would much rather have a concise list of the commands
I am most likely to actually need. Fortunately, just running bzr with no
command gives a nice short list. Perhaps Matthieu's suggestion would be
seen as a unification of bzr and bzr help commands.

If the mode is settable, I would rather it be settable with a command.
People transitioning from novice to regular shouldn't have to edit the
config file manually.

Kevin