understanding shared repo and push

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Tue Aug 8 22:15:34 BST 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:30:48PM -0400, Davis, Jacob wrote:
> The way I'd like to use BZR is the other way around. I want a single user to
> make changes to many different sets of files on remote machines. Ideally I
> could do this without having to log into each machine individually to
> execute commands. I might accomplish this by various other means but it
> seems like BZR has some unique features that could make it useful for what I
> want. It would give me a sort of centralized approach to system
> configuration change management without having to figure out
> http://www.cfengine.org/ . And since BZR supports Windows it is (hopefully)
> also cross-platform.

As an alternative to cfengine, there's also bcfg2. Its Cfg plugin will let you
do the above. From ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/bcfg/bcfg2-0.8.2-manual.pdf:

    The Cfg plugin provides a configuration file repository that uses literal
    file contents to provide client-tailored configuration file entries. It
    chooses which data to provide for a given client based on the aspect-based
    metadata system used for high-level client configuration.

But as with bzr, you will still have to run the bcfg2 client on each machine
you want to update.

More information on bcfg2 can be found at
http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/.

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com