[RFC] Bugtracker workflow

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Aug 7 01:06:34 BST 2006

[cc'd the lp list]

On  5 Aug 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> This is just something I've been thinking about. It may not be something
> that we can get Launchpad to support (easily).
>
> But it seems to me, that bugs should be marked as existing in certain
> releases, and then fixed/closed in others.
> Right now we use the bug tracker as pretty much just a 'the current
> state of bugs'. We have no real way to say, 'This was a known issue in
> bzr-0.8.2, but we fixed it in 0.9'.

This isn't something Launchpad can do at the moment, for just this
reason:

> It could just be that this is the standard way bug trackers work. They
> only keep track of the *current* bug state, not really the state over time.

You can say "we intend to fix this in a new 0.8.x release", by making a
new series and saying that it should be fixed there.  Or you can even
explicitly say "we've decided this won't be fixed in the next 0.8.x
release."  But you can't say "this bug is in 0.8.1".

Personally I think that would be useful, to avoid confusion about when a
user/tester should expect to see a bug fixed or not fixed.

The current suggestion is to just add freeform text about when it's
fixed, which does the job but is not totally satisfying.

--
Martin