bzr heads: how to kill uncommited revisions?

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Wed Aug 2 00:00:53 BST 2006

On 7/31/06, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>
> > How dead do you need them to be? The easiest way to do it, is to just
> > re-branch all of your stuff into a new location. The branch (and push
> > and pull) code only copy across referenced entries. And in the new
> > location, everything will be truly cleaned out.
> >
> > If you want to clean things up in place, and you need the contents of
> > all of the texts that made up that revision be removed from all knits,
> > it is kind of tricky. I can outline the process if you really want to do
> > it, though.
>
> I think the first of these (copy out the bits you want) is the only one
> we should really be recommending to users or intending to support in the
> future.  (Of course Alexander is more than a user so I don't mind John
> telling, but I wouldn't want people in general changing their index
> files.)
>
> Possibly we should add some command to vacuum out unused revisions, but
> that should be built up on proper apis.  Perhaps the best way is to do a
> plugin to branch a repository, copying everything used by every branch
> underneath it.

I think in the medium term there must be a way to clean out unused
(unreferenced?) revisions in a shared repo. Simply in terms of space
you need to be able to do it, otherwise over time your repo will fill
up with lots of junk. And there might be people who have a legal
requirement that all code from branch x is physically removed.

cheers