New benchmark tests

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Aug 1 14:55:46 BST 2006

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

>> In short - branches are cheap, lets do more of them.
>
> hmm, makes sense, but sure takes quite some time getting used to when
> coming from a centralized world :-).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Friedrich

Actually, it is just transitioning from a tool that barely does merges
to one that does it in a very nice way.

SVN could actually be a very good, centralized tool, if it just tracked
when I merged branch A into branch B. Now, because they have everything
as a single filesystem with a single namespace, they have other issues
about *what is Branch A* versus *what is Branch B*. I know svk handles
this somehow. I suppose they may just enforce that you have to use the
/trunk, /tags, /branches style of working.

Anyway, the gang here has gotten pretty used to working this way, and
we're always happy to give pointers.

(The biggest reason I do it is because of the code-review step. I can
work on 2 features, and have one accepted before the other. When I use a
single branch, I can't merge it until both have been accepted. And for
stuff like bugfixes, this is really painful)