understanding shared repo and push

Davis, Jacob Jacob_Davis at sra.com
Tue Aug 1 14:27:13 BST 2006

Hello,

After reading http://bazaar-vcs.org/SharedRepositoryTutorial I was
inspired to place configuration files for several machines under bzr
control. What I want to accomplish is to have a central server with a
shared repository that contains a directory for each client machine. The
idea is to allow an admin to modify configuration files on the central
servers shared repository and "push" changes to the individual
repositories on the client machines. I have tried the following...

- on client -
$ cd /etc
$ bzr init
$ bzr add some_file.conf
$ bzr commit -m "added file"

- on central server -
$ bzr init-repo --trees /bzr
$ cd /bzr
$ mkdir client; cd client
$ bzr branch sftp://client/etc
$ vi /bzr/client/etc/some_file.conf
$ bzr commit -m "edited file"

This all works great until I try to push the changes to the client...

$ bzr push sftp://client/etc
 bzr: WARNING: This transport does not update the working tree of
sftp://client/etc/

The wording of the error makes me think that if I were to use something
other then sftp, then the commend would work. Is that so?
Is this behavior intentional or is there someway I can get it to work
the way I want other then simply copying the file to the client?

Thank You,
-Jake