0.10 release process - time based release?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 1 08:35:43 BST 2006

I'd like to suggest a change for the release process of bzr - time based
releases.

Heres the crux of what I suggest:

We release 0.10 Monday September 4th.
To achieve that, 0.10 rc1 will be released August 28th,
bzr.dev will be frozen for all bar non-risky bugfixes from August 21st.

This gives us 3 weeks for major feature landings, and 2 weeks to recover
from any instability.

I'm offering to be the release mgr for this release, as I've done time
based releases before. The key things I'll want to enable me to do this
are:
 * Agreement from the community on these dates.
 * Agreement from folk with commit access to bzr.dev that I can rollback
commits after the 21st if they should not have qualified for committing.
(e.g. if they cause regressions).

We should still set feature goals for 0.10 - I'm over at Martins now
chatting with him about what might make a good set - we'll send that to
the list presently with our thoughts, so we can bounce it around and get
a good list together. However, to ensure the release happens, any
feature that isn't ready will just get punted to 0.11.

Seeking +4 :)

-Rob