[attn aaron] WorkingTree._write_inventory/_set_inventory considered harmful

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Jul 27 02:58:41 BST 2006

Hi Aaron,
	I note that TreeTransform uses private tree interfaces to update the
working inventory. I can and will make this work with dirstate, but its
going to be relatively inefficient I suspect (compared to mutating the
data we have as we do operations - for example, after setting a file in
the transform, we could fstat it to get the stat value and put that
straight into the dirstate.

IIRC the reason you do this is so that you dont have an inventory that
violates the invariants of an inventory, during the transform?

I think it would make sense to extend the working tree interface to
allow all the operations TT needs to do to be done via it (efficiently),
which would allow us to manage the dirstate data and not force a rescan
at the end of the merge.

It may be that I am prematurely optimising here, but I think its worth
consideration.

Thoughts?

Rob