[MERGE] deprecated EmptyTree

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jul 21 06:19:09 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 01:10 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 00:48 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
> >> In nested-trees, the empty tree has no root file-id.  The root id is
> >> introduced by the first commit.  It must be introduced in the first
> >> commit, because the inventory serializer throws an exception if there's
> >> no root id.
> >
> > Can it still serialize existing trees?
>
> Yes.  I didn't modify the serializer; it already had that constraint.
>
> > Or does their ROOT_ID id count as
> > a root file-id ?
>
> Exactly.  TREE_ROOT counts as a root file-id.

What do you think of having the empty tree have a root with a file-id of
ROOT_ID ? I think it is a desirable property that an empty tree be able
to match precisely a tree committed with no files and no ancestors.

I realise this is different to what you have done - so I'd like to know
what things it would impact negatively.

Rob