how to revert update operation

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Jul 20 03:32:55 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 04:08 +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Robert Collins [Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:58:40 +1000]:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 00:27 +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > > rror(str(e) + "\n"
> > > +                'To commit to parent use push, or update and then
> > > commit if '
> > > +                'the branches have diverged.\nYou can also unbind or
> > > pass '
> > > +                '--local to commit to continue working offline.')
>
> > Id rather we didn't mention 'bind' in the help here. Its rather likely
> > to -not- do what the user expects until its fixed. Its very magic at the
> > moment - which I dont like.
>
> Sure, that bit just came straight from the original help, so feel free
> to s/unbind or//. O:-)
>
> In any case, do you agree that it'd be helpful to make the suggested
> change (or a similar one) to the error string?

from ' Either unbind, update, or pass --local to commit.'

to  'To commit to parent use push, or update and then commit if the
branches have diverged.\nYou can also unbind or pass --local to commit
to continue working offline.'

Ok, lets look at it in more detail.

We may or may not be able to use push. I think in fact, that if the
branch is compatible - if we can use push - we should do a push, then
the regular commit. So offering push is kindof beside the point :).
(this needs a bug opened on it)

The master branch isn't the parent branch - we should not use 'parent'
to refer to it.  I think saying 'to commit to this shared branch' might
work though. Expanding on the use of update is definately a good thing.
So 'update and then commit' is good. If you wish to keep working
offline, pass --local to commit.

We should not offer --local, or push, if its a lightweight checkout
we're working with rather than a heavyweight checkout. (because they
dont apply there).

Rob