[merge] global (per user) ignores and other cleanups

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jul 10 15:50:49 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On  7 Jul 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>> Attached is a bundle which implements a global ignore file in
>> ~/.bazaar/ignore
>
> Just two thing: please add a NEWS entry so people can see
> what changed, and please add at least a stub to the documentation
> describing that the file exists.

Certainly.

>> The other possibility would be that if ~/.bazaar/ignore *doesn't* exist,
>> it uses the builtin list of default ignores. Which is more of a
>> compatible upgrade path than our current system.
>
> Well, I think we would want that list to be more conservative than what
> we have at the moment, both to avoid surprising people and to help with
> performance.
>
> So I'll give a +1, the patch looks good as written.  If other people
> have concerns about adding the feature we can talk about it some more
> but I think it's basically reasonable.

Well, my thoughts on using the builtin if the ~/.bazaar/ignore doesn't
exist is just for upgrade compatibility. Right now I've had quite a few
suprises when I go back to a project, and I've forgotten about the
bzr.dev change. I'm used to just working and running 'bzr add' if I
create new files. If I'm not careful, this gives me .swp and .pyc files
all over the place.
And 'revert' doesn't really help you in this case, because you probably
did add a couple of files that you wanted, and maybe you modified some
other ones.

I would be okay with decreasing the defaults, but I'm thinking we
probably should keep the really important ones. Looking at the list, I'm
thinking:
#*# - Emacs temp files?
.#*
*.a
*.o #Which we have 2x for some reason
*.py[oc]
*.so
*~
*.sw[nop] # We can break this into .*.sw[nop] and .sw[nop] if you prefer

These seem to be the most likely ones to hit lots of files. I don't know
if there are a lot of people keeping mixed control files, so we should
leave in CVS and .svn (since they go in every directory). but .hg {arch}
 and _darcs only occur in one directory, so if they get added, you can
simply 'bzr revert .hg'.

I really think we should include some sort of 0.8 => 0.9 upgrade
compatibility. Especially if we want to get it into dapper. (Otherwise
upgrading bzr would suddenly a very user-visible effect).