[MERGE] test framework distinguishes skips

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Jul 7 16:40:59 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, but since the pqm runs with LANG=C (make test), all unicode tests
>>> are skipped. So I don't think we want to look through 200 skipped tests
>>> to see that one was skipped for the wrong reason.
>
> As I noted, I've already reverted to the exception handling style we had
> before.  Is there something more that you think we should be doing?

From what I can tell, these seem okay.

> And when we're listing skipped tests, I hope to group them by reason, e.g.
>
> 210 tests skipped because of platform deficiencies
> 200 tests skipped due to "Non-unicode filesystem"
> 10 tests skipped due to "No Symlink support"
> Tests skipped due to "Non-unicode filesystem":
>   test_urlutils.TestUrlToPath.test_posix_local_path_to_url
>   test_urlutils.TestUrlToPath.test_win32_local_path_to_url
>
> etc.

If you do this, it would probably be nicest to have the summary at the
bottom. Right now I *really* wish a short list of test failures was
printed after all of the tracebacks. (When you have 10 blackbox tests
failing, there are many pages of errors to sort through, just to get the
*names* of the failing tests.)

Similarly, having this summary some random number of pages up in the
scrollback makes it hard to just eyeball it and say "oh, we have some
skips I wasn't expecting".

>>> It seems reasonable to have those on TestCaseInTempDir, rather than
>>> TestCase. Simply because you don't really require either one if you
>>> aren't writing to the filesystem.
>
> I don't know if that's really true.  You might be using the
> (memory-backed) NTFSTransport, for example.
>
> Aaron

Both require_symlinks() and require_file_modes() are OS-level queries.
Not Transport level queries. If you are using a Memory transport, you
need to ask the Transport if it is capable.

Or are you optionally passing a transport into require_symlinks()?