[RFC] bzr log --log-format help should give the list of log formats

Jari Aalto+usenet jari.aalto at cante.net
Tue Jul 4 07:24:21 BST 2006

* Mon 2006-07-03 Wouter van Heyst <larstiq AT larstiq.dyndns.org>
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:47:22PM +0300, Jari Aalto+usenet wrote:
>> > Do you want '--log-format help', or do you want:
>> >
>> > bzr help log-format
>> >
>> > Or do you want
>> >
>> > bzr help log
>>
>> To me, this one would be the most logical
>
> The log help is getting rather long, how about a reference from that to
> 'help log-format'?

The "help <command>" should be retained if all possible. I think it
logical that way. If more help ever needs separate page (to fill
another page), then it shoudl follow same convention:

    bzr help <command> <option>

Because after reading it, you can just edit the command line and
delete "help" and start using the command:

    bzr <command> <option>

- - -

This is the question like in Web pages: do we want split information
scattered around many pages or do we want one big page and let user to
use "search" button to hop around.

I prefer one giant page (piped through less(1)) where all the
information is available.

I don't see problem with length per se, perhaps if the "log" help page
starts to have 75-character wide dense paragraphs with long hard to
understand sentences, then it might be a problem. But not now.

Jari