Two questions about init and init-repo

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Mon Jul 3 05:28:08 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:

>> 2. Has there been talk about an option for init (maybe branch too?, hm)
>>    to prevent the shared (with --trees) repository from being used?
>
> No, I don't think we've discussed that.  Obviously, there are
> workarounds to achieve that, but how do you see it being useful?

I had a situation where I needed this for "branch" recently : a script
generating a nigthly snapshot, for which I wanted to keep the complete
.bzr/ directory (so export is not what I want).

I first did

$ bzr branch . tmp/project-name
$ cd tmp; tar czf project-name.tar.gz project-name

but since my original branch was in a shared repo (with --trees), the
tarball didn't include the history. My workaround for now is to use
/tmp/, it's fine because it's a small project (DVC), no risk to
fill-in the disk space there.

That said, I'm not claiming that this situation is frequent enough to
deserve an additional option.

--
Matthieu