default ignores (was [MERGE] DEFAULT_IGNORE += ArX, Codeville, Monotone)

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Jul 3 04:35:36 BST 2006

On  1 Jul 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> Thanks for letting us know. Recently we found out that our default
> ignore list is a performance hog when setting up a new tree. So we've
> actually been discussing trimming it way back, since people don't really
> need to have everything default to ignored. They can add the ones for
> their particular tree.
>
> I'm not opposed to merging this, because it has been our habit to ignore
> stuff like this. But I think we should discuss it, since I know we are
> trying to decrease the number of ignore patterns.

If we do keep the default ignore list then it would make sense to add
these.  But I think the performance evidence plus the model simplication
of making them explicit is compelling.

This was discussed previously

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar-ng/2006q2/013063.html

and I'm going to go ahead and pull in Robert's changes.  In the future
we should also look at personal ignores; perhaps also at having a way to
script some defaults for bzr init.

--
Martin