How to communicate with upstream sources intelligently

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jun 28 23:26:37 BST 2006

Jari Aalto+usenet wrote:
> I need comments how to best arrange conversation with upstream in
> following situation. Both parties use different version control (me:
> bzr, upstream svn).

If I understand correctly, all 3 changes were done on separate branches.
Is there anything preventing you from doing:

bzr branch TRUNK-1.0 TRUNK-1.1
cd TRUNK-1.1

# update from 1.1.tar.gz
bzr commit -m "version 1.1"

cd ..
bzr branch TRUNK-1.1 change-1.1-B
cd change-1.1-B

bzr merge ../change-1.0-B
# Resolve conflicts
bzr commit -m "Ported change B to 1.1"

The point is to create a pristine 1.1 from the pristine 1.0 (to preserve
file ids), and then just create a working branch for 1.1-B, and merge
the old changes into it.

It should pick a valid base since it came from the same tree that 1.1 is
coming from.

Am I missing something in your workflow?