[RFC] BzrTagging updates

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Jun 24 18:39:16 BST 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:49:38AM -0400 I heard the voice of
Aaron Bentley, and lo! it spake thus:
> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>
> > You basically end up declaring that when tags conflict, one branch
> > MUST be made to be in sync with the other.
>
> I am saying that when tags conflict, each tag conflict must be
> resolved in favour of one or the other.  Not that one branch's tags
> must all supersede the other branch's tags.

That's what I meant.

> With per-branch tags, either someone else will merge you and get tag
> conflicts, or you'll merge yourself and get tag conflicts.  So
> you're either a sadist or a masochist.

Or, you merge based on tag-id, and don't merge renames, which was the
root of my concept.   :)

The renames exist to support having other branch's tags not interfere
with your naming of your branch's tags.  The not propogating renames
keeps that from creating a problem when you merge back the other way.
Again, I don't suggest that these sort of things will or SHOULD be
common, and I agree they're hardly ever a good idea, but I'm
uncomfortable with declaring that such a thing should NEVER be
allowed.

> I think it's because of the differing usage.  I want tags that are
> permanent, almost unmoving markers of states of development:

In general, I do too.  But, I don't think that's the ONLY possible way
people may want to use tags, and declaring that we never support tag
names pointing in different places feels wrong to me.  It feels like
the sort of choice that opens up a lot of opportunity for collateral
damage down the road.  I wouldn't oppose a config option to enforce
One True Tags, and I probably wouldn't be bothered TOO much if it were
on by default, but it feels wrong as the ONLY choice.

It's generally "bad" in much the same sense for two "related" branches
to have two different files (by file-id) referred to by the same
filename, but we don't (and shouldn't) outlaw that layout in the tool.
Neither, I think, should we do so with the equivalent in tags.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net