[RFC] Revision id aliases

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Jun 19 18:35:40 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:26 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what keys would make sense for your needs, since you end up
> >> with 2-way aliasing. I suppose you could use:
> >> alias:revX\trevY => 'True'
> >> And the file could just version if that line exists or not.
> > Wouldn't just adding
> > 'revX' => 'revY'
> > and
> > 'revY' => 'revX' work? That seems to make more sense to me.
> Yes, but now you are introducing 2 lines which should never be versioned
> separately. You wouldn't want to end up with
> revX => revY
> and revY => revZ
Oops, right. More coffee for me :-) It does still make sense though to
store the alias twice -> once revX\revY and once revY\revX. That'll make
it easier to find an alias by binary search.

> >> I got a little off topic, but I would like to see tags happen. Just
> >> getting them 'right' is difficult.
> > Same here - tags are imho the big missing features from Bazaar at the
> > moment.
> Well, they are present, just only implemented in a plugin which doesn't
> propagate them.
The fact that they're not being propagated severely limits their use at
the moment.

> It would be trivial to write a plugin for the latter. But it still
> doesn't seem 'correct'. My spec on the Wiki isn't all that hard to
> implement, but it is a little bit more complicated than I'd like. (But
> may be not be more complicated than required).
I'll try to comment on it/try to drive it, would be nice to get it
moving again.

Cheers,

Jelmer