[RFC] _show_log supporting unmerged revisions (first step towards lp #4663)

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Jun 18 19:04:13 BST 2006

Wouter van Heyst wrote:

>> I favor this second method. It may do weird things when you switch the
>> direction, but I think it gives the best results.
>> The real use case (I think) is just doing:
>>
>> bzr log -r revid:foo
>>
>> With no range, because you just want the message about a specific entry.
>> If you used the former method, that would give you all the stuff about
>> the revision which merged the revision you care about. Rather than just
>> a single entry.
>
> That was my reasoning too.

> I often make use of that, will try not to in bzr code. The function in
> question is dead code in this instance of the patch, I removed
> find_merging and inlined last_mainline_ancestor now that there is only
> one user.

I'm not specifically against it, just didn't know about it before.

>> In general, the above seems to be a little convoluted and hard to
>> follow. It would be nice if we could get a simpler definition, so that
>> it can be maintained.
>
> I agree the above functions are convoluted, I tried getting rid of them.
> How bad is the rest of the patch? I dislike the cutting out of revisions
> with the sorted_merge loop, nor the zero_depths calculation.

The zero_depth is because log formatters 'short' and 'line' only display
the mainline. I think we need to keep something like that in, though if
you look at my message to Aaron, he might be doing it differently.

I didn't really look at all of your steps, so I'll wait for your new
patch and review again.

>> It might just be that I'm confused about you using the term 'ismerged()'
>> when it doesn't really mean merged.
>
> Oops, I don't know how I ended up reversing the logic on that one.
> I'm working on an updated patch, will post that after dinner, and then
> get to work on actually changing cmd_log.
>
> Wouter van Heyst

Just be aware that Aaron is also working on some log improvements. So
you should work closely with him so that you don't step on eachother's toes.