[merge] Profile import time

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Jun 18 04:02:46 BST 2006

Attached is an updated version of my 'profile-imports' that I mentioned
earlier. Martin was only so-so on it saying "If you feel it is important".

Now that we've been working hard on speeding things up, I think it is
important. But I'm hoping having it in a separate file will make it a
little bit cleaner and acceptable.

So attached is the patch, and the branch is available from:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/branches/bzr/profile-imports/
(Down until DNS propagates)

The one downside of the current output format is that the imported
children show up before the parent. What we would really want is the
call stack like lsprof does.

You can sort the file, but then you lose the information about where the
time was actually spent. Attached is the current output for 'bzr root'.

The current semi-expensive stuff is:

12ms bzrlib.trace because it loads 11ms logging (5ms from string,
because of a 3ms regex compile).

18ms bzrlib.option, 12ms in bzrlib.trace, another 5ms in revisionspec
(2ms compiling the date regex).

23ms bzrlib.commands (18ms in option) = 5ms internally

13ms bzrlib.osutils
	4ms tempfile
	3ms random
	1ms ntpath

62ms bzrlib.config
	47ms bzrlib.util.configobj.configobj
		lots of <10ms regex compiles

37ms copy
	35ms inspect
		32ms tokenize
			2 expensive regexes

13ms urllib
	9ms socket
		5ms _ssl
		1ms _socket

# This I mentioned, but never got cleaned up in bzr.dev
20ms bzrlib.iterablefile
	20ms doctest

32ms cElementTree
	28ms elementtree
		24ms compiling u'[&<>"\x80-\uffff]+'
(This is only needed when you write out XML)

10ms bzrlib.inventory
	8ms tarfile #We should late load this

12ms bzrlib.gpg
	12ms subprocess
		10ms pickle

7ms bzrlib.merge
	2ms bzrlib.transform

5ms bzrlib.workingtree

I really want to change the format so it attributes time better. Let me
see what I can do.