brz 0.8.2 - Disable progress bar and enable it only on -v option

Jari Aalto+mail.perl jari.aalto at cante.net
Fri Jun 16 00:12:15 BST 2006

* Thu 2006-06-15 John Arbash Meinel <john AT arbash-meinel.com>

[progress bar on stderr]

Argh, and how error messages are gathered from the stream? In Unix
it has been very good idea to separate two things:

    messages    to stdout
    errors      to stderr

The progress bar should go to stdout because it's regular message and
not an error condition. Playing with the stderr/stdout to put "things
nicely" is bad, bad design.

>> I think you're underestimating the necessity for people to know that
>> something is happening when they perform a long-running command.
>>
>> I'm much more inclined to make the feature work properly than to give up
>> on it and turn it off by default.

I understand the need to show progress for non-experienced / win32
people that may not have equivalent Unix background.

> I agree. Of course if we could just make every action take <1s to
> complete, I would be fine with getting rid of progress bars.
> But somehow I don't think that is a long term possibility.

I'm fine with the progress bar concept and I certainly see it useful
when something will take a long time (committing, pulling, pushing big
file projects; slow network etc.). I would certainly use it when
needed.

Unfortunately the introduction of it being "the default" in 0.8 just
didn't improve user experience.

We all know that programs normally, if more information is needed,
supply concept:

  --verbose --verbose --verbose --more-of-that --more-of-this

The road "always on by default" goes against the nature of the above
flow, if this "progressbar" direction is taken as precedence of a
design concept to more to follow.

Jari