[RFC] info output light vs heavy checkouts .

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jun 15 18:30:53 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> A light checkout of a branch in a repository looks like this:
>
>  light checkout root: foo
>    shared repository: bar
>    repository branch: gam
>

> with a normal checkout of the same branch, it looks like this:
>        checkout root: foo
>   checkout of branch: bar/gam
>

> I'm not clear why these dont look more similar - the heavyweight one
> could look like:
>        checkout root: foo
>    shared repository: bar
>    repository branch: gam
>

> This would make some code simpler, and IMO is more understandable.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Rob

I think it would be nice to have a lot less special casing in the 'bzr
info' code. I usually work in a local repository with my branch bound to
a remote repository. (The local one has working trees).

In this situation, it doesn't print the 'bound_branch' lines at all, so
there is no public command to get the bound target, so I have to 'cat
.bzr/branch/bound'
I know Alexander has a plugin 'bzr paths' which prints out all of them.

But I think the problem is our special casing, which means each path has
to handle all the permutations.