Submit by mail

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Wed Jun 14 02:34:57 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 21:41 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > On 6/12/06, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> >> Inline patches are much more likely to be mangled (e.g. LF -> CRLF) than
> >> attachments, so there is some risk to that approach.
> >
> > Sure, but any decent mailer should be able to send mail without
> > munging whitespace _if you tell it not to_. Having said that, it's
> > probably best to try and make the bundle code as immune to whitespace
> > changes as possible. Perhaps optionally, like patch's
> > --ignore-whitespace.
>
> It is a tall order make bundles produce reproducible results, be
> verifiable, and to tolerate whitespace changes.  Not saying we can't,
> but it's very hard.
>
> One of the problems is that the line separator is not always constant--
> some files mix LF and CRLF.  Another is that whitespace at the end of
> lines is often eaten, or used to indicate a soft break in format=flowed
> text.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Unfortunately I think it's human to consider
whitespace as insignificant in any format that _looks like text_. The
easy option might be just to ignore the textual diff, and use a base64
encoded one. Although then some idiot user will edit the diff and expect
that to hold :)

> > Inline patches are much easier to read and comment on, in some MUAs at
> > least. And some communities won't accept patches any other way.
>
> Sigh, it's frustrating to work around other peoples' workarounds...

Let me tell you a story about firmware ...

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person