[RFC] Strawman replacement local directory state

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jun 14 01:04:47 BST 2006

Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:50 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> While we are talking about strawmen, what about using an sqlite db for
>> the dirstate.
>
> I know this is a regious/flamey topic, but there are lots of rumors
> about sqlite being unreliable, at least under certain circumstances.
> Before reacting to that, please go back and re-read it so you are sure
> you understand what I just said (and did not say).
>
> If sqlite is seriously considered, I would hope those (potential) issues
> would be fully researched, and determined to be false or not applicable.
>
> Personally, I have a strong anti-database bias, so I would favor some
> kind of text file approach, all things being equal.
>
> Oh, and I don't really understand the issues, but would this use of
> sqlite affect the ability to serve repos on a plain html server? I
> assume not, since you probably wouldn't have even suggested it if it
> would.
>
> Kevin

Well, monotone uses it for all of its data storage, and since it is a
contender, I have a feeling it isn't all that flakey. :)

I don't want to use a database for the hard-core archival stuff. I think
having an obvious data storage model, which makes it fairly easy to
recover your data if anything should happen is good. The only thing this
would change would be the working tree. So it wouldn't affect serving
over plain http, nor the long term storage. It is just an attempt to
make working with the tree faster.