Why is bzr pull via http soooooo sloooooow?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jun 12 15:48:22 BST 2006

Stefan Reichör wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I monitor the development of bzr. Today I run bzr missing & bzr pull
> to get an up to date copy:
>
>   # time bzr missing
>   Using last location: http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/
>   You are missing 14 revision(s):
>   ------------------------------------------------------------
>   revno: 1765
>   committer: Canonical.com Patch Queue Manager<pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com>
>   branch nick: +trunk
>   timestamp: Mon 2006-06-12 02:12:14 +0100
>   message:
>     Stop using shlex in run_bzr_subprocess
>   ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   snip...
>
>   ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>   revno: 1752
>   committer: Canonical.com Patch Queue Manager<pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com>
>   branch nick: +trunk
>   timestamp: Thu 2006-06-08 07:38:32 +0100
>   message:
>     (jam,mbp,wvh) Lots of updates to unicode,url,and encoding support
>   bzr missing  0.75s user 0.09s system 0% cpu 4:00.91 total
>

>   # time bzr pull
>   Using saved location: http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/
>   All changes applied successfully.
>   14 revision(s) pulled.
>   bzr pull  4.89s user 0.54s system 0% cpu 21:03.38 total
>

> So missing took 4 minutes and pull took 21 minutes for 14 revisions!!
> I used a rather recent version (bzr (bazaar-ng) 0.9.0dev0).
>
> So my questions are now:
> * Is bzr really that slow?
> * Am I doing something wrong?
> * Do I need some extra libraries to speed things up?
>
> Stefan.

Do you have pycurl installed? (I'm assuming you have cElementTree already).

If you don't have a caching DNS, we have some small issues where urllib
doesn't cache the host addresses, so for every request we get another
DNS request. We have the same issue with pycurl, but we have a couple
proposed fixes for this. (Ultimately with pycurl we can do partial
(range) requests, etc.)

Also the number 14 is a little bit misleading. There are only 14
mainline revisions, but it amounts to > 100 total merged revisions. (The
encoding merge itself was > 80 revisions).