[RFC/MERGE] Allow two plugins to register the same command.

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Tue May 30 18:12:37 BST 2006

On 5/31/06, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> So, the second one to be registered gets prefixed with the module name?
>
> That seems unpredictable to me.  Perhaps it's better to prefix them
> both, add a dummy command that says "disambiguate me, please!", and let
> the user use aliases to specify which one should get the short name.

Well it's unpredictable unless you have numbered names in your
.bazaar/plugins. ie I have "01_shelf" and "02_bzrtools", so "shelve"
is always from shelf and "bzrlib-plugins-bzrtools-shelve" is from the
bzrtools version.

The disambiguate/alias idea is interesting, and might be preferable.
It certainly gives more flexibility, and would work for people who
don't have control of the plugin directories (possibly on a shared
install of bzr eg.) I'll think about it.

> Also, perhaps it's worth allowing all commands to be specified using the
> module name.

Just for completeness? Or do you have a use case where that would be
useful? I can't think of one.

cheers