[MERGE] remove --new

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Tue May 30 16:39:07 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 10:03 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > I think that's kinda interesting, although global options (ie. for
> > every command) are a bit irksome.
> >
> > Having said that I don't really see anything wrong with "bzr ls
> > --added | xargs whatever".
>
> There's the cross-platform issue, though.
>
> Hmm.  What about: "bzr xargs --new remove"?  Perhaps that would be
> cleaner as: "bzr select-files --new remove"?

Hmm again. I think that's "interesting", but UNIX heads are liable to
regard it as crack "what's wrong with xargs?". And on platforms without
a reasonable shell (only Windows w/out Cygwin) a GUI is the right answer
IMHO.

I understand some people might be unfamiliar with xargs. But is "bzr
xargs --new remove" any more obvious to that class of user than "bzr ls
--new | xargs bzr remove" ? Perhaps, but I don't think by much. Either
way if you don't know about xargs you're going to be reaching for your
bzr manual, and so it could just put them to the above xargs usage.

cheers