Slowdowns

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed May 24 01:32:00 BST 2006

On 22 May 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> So there is an advantage. For simple commands, it can be a lot. But for
> something like 'bzr status', we are better off fixing other things.

My opinion is that measuring the time for no-op commands can be a useful
technique but the constant time we actually care about measuring is that
for simple operations in small trees - e.g. "bzr status", "bzr commit"
etc in branches with zero or one versioned file.  If things like
cElementTree and configobject are slowing us down but are necessarily
involved in things like parsing the inventory we need to get to grips
with them.  Conversely there's no good reason why things like doctest
should be loaded in normal operation so we should fix that up.

--
Martin Pool