[MERGE] Patience diff

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Tue May 23 03:37:23 BST 2006

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
|>| is different, I would tend to change it to:
|>|
|>| new_file = file(file_path, 'rb')
|>| assert list(new_file) == new_lines
|>
|>Makes sense.

Done.

|>| We should go through and make sure that our copyright statements have
|>| 2006, and use # all the way through. (bzrlib/cdv/__init__.py doesn't
|>| have the right lines in the beginning)
|>
|>It's also attributed to Canonical, and I think it should be attributed
|>to Bram Cohen, at least in part.
|

| Well __init__.py is my addition, and can be attributed to Canonical. But
| nofrillsprecisemerge.py should be attributed to Bram.

Okay, the new files are attributed correctly.  I've merged nofrills with
yours, and done a shared attribution.

|>| We should also check that we have the latest 'nofrillsprecisemerge.py'
|>| files. I tried hard to make sure I was using an unmodified version so
|>| that any updates could be easily obtained.

I checked the latest on revctrl.org.  It seems our version is the
newest.  Actually, someone added a bunch of epydoc-style comments to our
version, so it's not a 1-1 match anymore.

|>Perhaps we should pull the nofrills stuff into cdvdifflib, and rename it
|>to bzrlib/patiencediff.py
|

| I would be okay with it going either way.

Okay, I've done this.

|>| In merge3.py we have a commented out import. I think we prefer to just
|>| remove them now.

Fixed.

|>| We also used to use a junk expression so that lines that only contained
|>| space,tab or # would be ignored. It probably isn't needed anymore, but
|>| we should be aware that the junk_re should be deleted.

I've deleted it.

|>| test_diff.py has a bunch of pep8 whitespace issues.

I've done my best, but if there's anything left, let me know.

| Well, ultimately I think this is just a tuned version of the original
| SequenceMatcher. I see that Robert was the one making the tuning, so we
| should ask him. But it doesn't benefit us much to include Patience diff
| if our primary storage mechanism isn't going to use it.
|
| I wasn't part of the tuning, so I don't know what it involved, or how
| much work it would be for him to tune Patience diff.

Well, merge and diff will benefit, but it would be nice to have annotate
and knit merge benefit, too.

How do you like me now?

Aaron