[MERGE] bzr add should be less chatty about ignore rules

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Mon May 22 02:23:47 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 21:47 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 21:38 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > Michael Ellerman wrote:
> >
> > > I like the full list, but I can see that people with defective build
> > > systems[1] might be annoyed by it. With a more conservative ignore
> > > list I guess this is ok .. and it's merged anyway so .. :)
> >
> > I like the full list too.  Not that surprising, since I implemented it.
> >   I think there's a real risk now that a bunch of people will have their
> > files ignored and not realize it.
> >
> > It was nice that I didn't have to be the one making that argument, for once.
> We can put it back. I wasn't checking mail frequently enough when it was
> merged to see the dissension brewing.
> However, its quite common on (say) a kernel tree to have many source
> rules matched, and add isn't run once - its run regularly to pick up new
> files. I don't see the change in risk between printing 'x files
> ignored', and printing 15 or 20 lines of counts : I've only read the
> entire list printed once or twice, and now its just noise.

I'm not sure what you mean about kernel trees and source rules. In my
kernel tree I have exactly 0 ignored files. (I build out of tree and I
don't use emacs ;)

So if I do an add and it prints "1 ignored files", I'm immediately going
to run 'bzr ignored' to see _which_ file. So _for me_ it seems that it'd
be better if it just printed the damn thing out in the first place.

I understand though that other people probably do have lots of ignored
files, so it might seem like a whole pile of useless output. I'll leave
it up to you guys to decide which way is better in general.

Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person