[RFC] Re: short and long log messages

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri May 19 15:31:06 BST 2006

Matthieu Moy wrote:
>> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:12:14AM -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>>> Well, in bash, doing this works:
>>>
>>> bzr commit -m "Summary line<CR>
>>> more text
>>> and still more
>>> and a little bit more
>>> "
>>>
>>> Bash holds the command request open until the " is closed. (It works for
>>> both " and ')
>
> Yes, but if you realize you've made a mistake in the summary line after
> typing the first <CR>, you can't modify it easily. That's what I mean by
> "possible but not comfortable".

Well, with bash and 'set -o vi', you can hit <ESC>v, which will open the
current command line in vim.

But honestly, other than just having the discipline to write your log
messages that way, there really isn't much you can do. If you have a
multi-line log message, you either need a text editor, or you live with
the difficulties of multi-line entry in bash.