Tracking Third-Party Sources (Vendor Branches)?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu May 18 00:16:49 BST 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:57:18PM -0500 I heard the voice of
John Arbash Meinel, and lo! it spake thus:

> Then 'myproject' becomes a container project, and the subdirectories
> can be whatever projects you would like.

The problem with this (at least, as I understand it) is that they're
all separate trees.  For one thing, that means more steps for other
people to sync it.  But also, it means they're separate from each
other.

When I'd do something like that, I'm not maintaining a general version
of upstream1; I'm maintaining a version of upstream1 tailored
specifically for myproject.  If I make changes to one of the files in
it, there're probably changes to my own files that go along with it,
so they should logically be grouped into a single revision.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net