Tracking Third-Party Sources (Vendor Branches)?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed May 17 19:18:51 BST 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:30:35AM +0200 I heard the voice of
Jan Hudec, and lo! it spake thus:

> What do you mean by 'do it in a subdirectory'?

The vendor branch doesn't come in in the root of the tree, it comes in
elsewhere in the tree.  Say, I'd have a vendor branch of bzr in
$PROJ/imports/bzr/.  Doing it by merge'ing and mv'ing the files into a
subdir is really icky, opens up all sorts of opportunities for trouble
when you fail to notice a file showing up in the root, and gets even
worse when file/dir names start conflicting.

I suppose you could do it by having the vendore branch have a bunch of
extra dirs in it.  But that feels really nasty.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net