is_ignored improvements...

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue May 16 23:38:14 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 14:28 +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 19:03:40 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > Jan Hudec was working on is_ignored improvements... they account for a
> > nontrivial amount of the time of a 'bzr add' call.
> >
> > I was wondering if we can get the compatible replacement in - leaving
> > the format changing etc stuff for a later time.
>
> Yes, it is possible. There are two parts to the branch:
> 1. The multi-pattern matcher and
> 2. The advanced glob->regex converter
> The multi-pattern matcher can be used with patterns produced by the
> fnmatch module.
> Now there are two possible ways to merge it:
> 1. I will keep the branch with all the new code, but make sure only the
>    matcher is used and fnmatch does the glob->regex conversion. So the
>    new converter will be there, but not used.
>    I actually think I already did that, so I'll just double-check.
> 2. I could manually split the patch to only include the matcher. That
>    would be more work, but if you insisted on not having unused code
>    there, I can do it.

Well, I know there is a work in the pipeline that changes the syntax of
ignored etc. At this point I'm solely interested in the faster logic
achieveable by combining the regex's for the match - roughly making
get_ignored_list return a single large (or perhaps groups of 30 or so)
regex for the ignore list, making matches a lot faster, avoiding lots of
regex compilation etc.

This would be a completely compatible change, so we can drop it straight
it.

I would not worry about making it an isolated branch *just yet* - what I
would like is a patch to review that has only those specific changes.

If you can do that, I will review it ASAP.

Rob