Problems with FTP transport in Bazaar-NG 0.8

Michal Krenek mikos at sg1.cz
Mon May 15 17:04:17 BST 2006

Hello,
Bazaar-NG is great distributed SCM, but there are another good SCMs, like for
example Mercurial, Darcs and Cogito. Main reason why I have chosen Bazaar-NG was
FTP transport, mainly because many webhostings supports only FTP for uploads.

But FTP transport seems to be neglected. In Bazaar-NG 0.7 it has worked only
with small patch (because of typo in ftp.py). And in Bazaar-NG 0.8 it doesn't
work with new knits disk format. If I try bzr push, it gives me:

ERROR: ftp does not support append().

It was discussed on mailing list and there is also bugreport here:
https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/42592

I have tried patch appended to the bugreport and it works without problems, but
why it wasn't included in bzr-dev yet? Will it be in bzr 0.8.1?

There is also another bug in FTP transport which I have reported two months ago:
https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/34685

It is security hazard, it was confirmed, I have also done some small patch which
fixes it, but nothing happends and it is not fixed in 0.8 nor in bzr-dev.

FTP transport is really important for me and I know also many other people for
which FTP transport is important. I think it would help Bazaar-NG adoption to
have these issues fixed in 0.8.1.

Thanks,
Michal Krenek