tags vs branches in a repo

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu May 11 22:52:34 BST 2006

Jan Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz> writes:

> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 22:59:55 +0200, Erik Bågfors wrote:
>> If we go in a way that tags and named revisions, that means that they
>> are not global for a repository.  Using branches as tags has the
>> advantage that they are repository wide.
>
> If we go in a way that tags are named revisions, that means that they *ARE*
> global for a repository. They would be stored in a special knit and that
> special knit would be in the repository. So there is no problem looking
> there.

IIUC, repositories are not aware of the branches composing it. Only
branches know which repository they belong to.

So, a repository-wide tags store could point to a revision as the
unique identifier for this revision, but I'm not sure how to do
cleanly a way to say "this tag corresponds to revno 12 in branch foo",
which should probably be there in the user interface.

Perhaps just a command to find all the instance of this revision in
different branches is sufficient (but we come back to the problem of
how to list branches in a repository).

(note: there are many cases where you don't need the branch+revno, of
course, but I think this possibility should be offered)

--
Matthieu