converting cvs to bzr branches

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu May 11 19:22:19 BST 2006

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>> 1) Bulk import with Tailor, manual after that
>> 2) cvs =3D> (cscvs) =3D> Arch =3D> (bzr baz-import) =3D> bzr
>>
>> Basically, you use Tailor to do the main conversion, and from then
>> onward, you just use:
>>
>> cvs co project
>> bzr get project bzr-project
>> cd project
>> mv ../bzr-project/.bzr/ .
>>
>> At this point, you should have a working directory with both CVS and
>> =2Ebzr controlling it.
>
> I have to thank you much for this suggestions: this is what I can work
> with. I didn't use cvs2svn nor tailor, but plain cvs. I only imported
> the last 3 upstream releases (which were tagged). More history would
> have been nice, but that's okay for me. I need to track current
> developments on trunk, which I import manually for now in a branch
> called "$project.upstream". My work is in "$project.dev", so I can merge
> changes from upstream any time.
>
> Thanks again!

No problem. I've found that it does work quite well, depending on what
you really need. I've done it for 3 or 4 projects, but it mostly for
personal stuff, not really stuff that was shared between a bunch of people.

If it is a very public project, you could try looking at launchpad.net
and see if the project has been imported into the Ubuntu system.
You could also look at: http://arch.ubuntu.com/

Which is where Ubuntu converted a lot of public CVS repositories into
Arch (and I'm assuming are migrating all of that into bzr).

I'm not sure about Tailor, but I know baz-import is stable, in the sense
that if you do a conversion, and I do a conversion, we will get the same
branches. Which has some very positive benefits. (It is one downside of
tracking projects manually, that 2 people doing that will have
difficulty in the future to interoperate.)