post 0.8 development

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu May 11 14:36:50 BST 2006

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 17:20:10 -0700, John A Meinel wrote:
>> Jan Hudec wrote:
>>> It's an *URL* -- so http://path/with%2ccomma/,1..2
>> [...]
>> Except I am frequently testing bzr inside these temporary directories.
>> And it is a little bit difficult to always write the full file:// url
>> specifier, just because I have a comma in the path.
>>
>> But it isn't terrible.
>
> I'd say relative path in this case is a relative resource pointer as per URL
> definition and therefore can be partially URL-escaped. Thus it'd be:
>     ../relative/path/with%2ccomma/,1..2
> It has the disadvantage that completion won't help you with this, but the
> escape character and special character would have that problem no matter what
> escaping you choose.
>
> The problem would be a little smaller if escaping was done by doubling the
> character, since that would only be one special character instead of two.

Except for the fact that it would imply you have to always type the
escape characters. So instead of typing:
bzr status "My Bågfors, %file.txt"

Which you could (potentially) do with a simple My<TAB>, you now have to
type:
bzr status My%20B%C3%A5gfors%2C%20%25file.txt

I really want to be able to enter relative paths as plain unicode strings.
I realize I wrote up a semi-worst case. Much worse is real unicode
files, like:

bzr status 日本人
versus
bzr status %E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E4%BA%BA

Nobody is going to know what the correct byte sequences are.
Now, you can argue that we only encode certain characters. But how (at
this point) do you enter a literal '%' character?