tags vs branches in a repo

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu May 11 10:59:04 BST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 15:26:50 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> How about instead doing something similar to arch and svn by just making
> a practice of using branches within a repository as tags.  To create or
> update a tag you can pull, pull --overwrite, or merge onto it[*].  This
> makes tags versioned, but without introducing a new time dimension.  And
> we don't have to do a new feature, we can just improve the one we
> already have.

No, it does *NOT* make tags versioned. Versioning tags means you can tell
when you moved it, which in this case means when you did the pull, what was
there before and what is there afterwards. It does not leave any such
information behind.

> [*] (Which suggests we should have a merge --overwrite too, which overwrites
> the tree with the merge source.)

That we indeed should ;-).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>