[BUG] Bind updates the branch, but not the working tree

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu May 11 01:07:33 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 08:35 -0700, John A Meinel wrote:
> Martin Pool wrote:
> > On  8 May 2006, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> >> Submitted as a bug report:
> >> https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/43651
> >>
> >> I just did a 'bzr bind' of a branch that was out of date. After binding
> >> 'bzr log' claims to see all 13 revisions. And 'bzr st' says that
> >> everything is fine. However, none of the changes have actually been
> >> applied to my working tree. I still need to run 'bzr update'.
> >>
> >> The bug is that "cmd_bind" only opens the respective branches, and not
> >> the working tree. And Branch.pull() only updates the branch information.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure the correct place to fix this, since Branch isn't ever
> >> supposed to know about a working tree.
> >>
> >> Would it be best to add a 'bind()' member to WorkingTree and have
> >> cmd_bind use that if possible?
> >
> > Perhaps it would be best, as lifeless recently suggested, that bind does
> > not implicitly update either the branch or the working tree.
> >
> > That still leaves the question of what log and status should do to
> > indicate that your working directory is out-of-date with the branch.
> >
> > Log is a bit of a tough call, but if run in a working directory should
> > probably tell you what's come into the working directory.  Status should
> > probably tell if the working directory is out of date.
> >

> I'm probably okay with bind not pushing & pulling. I don't really like
> his idea of 'if diverged, commit works as though they weren't bound'.
> I'm fine with 'if diverged, commit works as though previous commits were
> commit --local'.

Erm, my idea is that 'if diverged commit works as though previous
commits were --local, and the branch is outof date' - that is, if the
branches are diverged, the user needs to do 'bzr update', resolve
conflicts, and 'bzr commit' to sync.

> It might be the behavior that after one commit --local, the branches no
> longer stay in sync. I haven't ever had any cause to use --local to
> really have a feel for it.

--local says 'make a single local commit', the branches remain bound,
and the next commit will push both into the master.

Rob